Saturday, March 5, 2011

FabLab

Fablab is the best kept secret in Amsterdam! Located in de Waag at the Nieuwe Markt and run by musician, designer, inventor Alex Schaub, it is filled with a huge array of tools and machines for designing and creating anything from fashion articles to musical instruments. It has milling machines, a laser cutter, embroidery and state of the art sewing machines, and expert help by an array of young devotees. There is a live video link with MIT where one can sign up for weekly lessons from the sister lab.
My own stringless cello was embodied there and Alex gave me extensive help with Illustrator when I was in the re-design phase. It is in the finishing stages now and I'll do some extensive blogging about its features once we premiere it in public. The CNMAT version is described in my blog from February 19, 2009.